Home       Restaurants       RV Resorts       Contact

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Widow of the South

Yesterday we went to the Confederate Cemetery in Franklin. The battle of  Franklin was one of the bloodiest in this area. After the battle the Union dead were taken to national cemeteries, the Confederates were buried where they fell.  The family that owned the plantation where the injured were taken after the battle, took it upon themselves to reintern the dead and bury them in a private cemetery on their property. If you have ever read The Widow of the South you know this place. The book is fiction, a beautiful love story based around historical facts. When I visit this place, I am not thinking North or South, wrong or right, I think how many men have died through the years in these things called wars. Fathers, brothers, sons, husbands and now wives, mothers, sisters. It makes my heart ache. J was a marine, he served his time in VietNam and I know how lucky I was that he came home in one piece. Today I send my thoughts and prayers to all our soldiers and their families.


This is the breakdown of the soldiers buried in the cemetery
It is a peaceful quiet place
Have you ever been to Arlington, it is the same sad sight, rows and rows of headstones
This is the home that was used as the hospital after the battle, there are still blood stains on the floor where the Dr.s  operated
These were remarkable people
this commemorates the 255 who had no identity at all

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Theodore Roosevelt
Joyce

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I too think of all that have died and continue to fight in these wars...so sad...just reading this and looking at these pictures put a lump in my throat. I hope that whatever you do today that the weather is not too hot to enjoy it and that you are having a wonderful time. XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack and I have visited there, it is a sobering sight. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete