Home       Restaurants       RV Resorts       Contact

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Happy Birthday to my BFF!!

Today is my best friends birthday, really I call her my sister friend, cause that's what she is. We have known each other for over 25 years. We have helped each other through a lot of hard stuff during those 25 years and celebrated a lot of good things together. Saying good bye to our parents, horrible health issues, marriages, divorces and the arrival of her beautiful grandkids. And I could not begin to tell you the shopping stories, the eating stories, the giggling stories (remember the pop in the theatre, Judy?)

I still remember the exact moment she told me that her husband had taken a job in Minnesota and they were moving. It took me a very long time to understand that this was a good thing for them. I freely admit I was very angry for a long time at her husband for taking my best friend away from me. ( Imagine my surprise when I came to realize it wasn't all about me, it was what was best for them!)

We made a commitment to each other that we would maintain our friendship and not allow distance to break it. It takes work on both our parts, but we have protected and nourished this important relationship. We make sure we spend at least a few days together every year and we skype or phone every week or so. My dream was that we would someday end up little old ladies in Arizona together but those darn grand babies have put a kink in that. But we will keep stealing our time whenever we can and we know that at least in heaven we will be in the same neighborhood.

We have been able to spend long weekends together the last few years in Door County to celebrate our birthdays. Judy would kill me if I posted some of the pictures we have taken over the years ( and I would veto a few of them myself), so I will only put up a few of us doing what we love to do.





While thinking of what to write on your birthday Judy, so many memories have come to my mind. The times we have sobbed in each others arms, when we have laughed so hard we were snorting, the time you drove seven hours to come see me after the surgery to convince me I could go out in the world again and it would be okay. Remember, you found a place where we could drive right up to the door and there weren't any steps, so I could get a haircut after three months in bed. I don't think you realize how important that day was to me Judy. That was the day that I decided I could make my way back, that I would learn to walk again and take my life back and you are the one that caused it to happen. I love you girlfriend and I thank God that he brought you into my life and I pray he lets us become old women together. I hope you have the best birthday ever, you deserve it.
Forever Friends
© Amber S. Pence
The friendship we have is so rare to find,
We hate to see each other in a bind.
We have made each other laugh so hard we've cried,
We feel each other's pain if we are hurt inside.
We always can find the right words to say,
To help us get through any dreadful day.
We have told our darkest secrets, with feeling no shame,
We will tell each other the truth even if we are to blame.
Thinking of you not being here makes me feel so sad,
We will have to look back on our crazy memories to make us glad.
The Miles between us can't keep us apart,
Because we will keep each other close at heart.


Source: A Poem About A Friendship So Rare, Best Friend Poems http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/friend/poetry.asp?poem=14310#ixzz1TmrQ3zLC
Family Friend Poems


2 comments:

  1. Special friends are such a joy to have! We all need that someone who understands and shares with us. This is such a nice tribute to her Joyce Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girlfriend, I'm keeping this short since it's already disappeared 5 times. You made me cry and laugh. I value our friendship more than words can convey. You are the sister I never had and I love you for being who you are. I never pick up a large pop in the theater to honor the fact that the last time I did, it ended up in your lap. You taught me the fine art of shopping and eating well and we have the pictures to prove it. Thank you so much for just being you and allowing me to be me. Love you BFF.

    ReplyDelete