Home       Restaurants       RV Resorts       Contact

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Memories








I got a box in the mail today. It is from my best friends husband, he called me yesterday and said he was sending me some mementoes that they had picked out that they thought I would want from Judy. I know the ball is in there. Did I ever tell you about the ball?




We sent this ball back and forth a million times since she moved to Minnesota. She got the idea from her daughter, she and her best friend had been sending one back and forth for years. It is called a friendship ball and it opens on a couple of hinges and you put small gifts inside.


It was so much fun keeping your eyes open for something that reminded you of your friend and would fit in the ball. Of course, eventually we had to send it in a bigger box to hold the things we couldn't fit in the ball. It was like having an extra Birthday or extra Christmas a couple of times a year.


When I first got to the house the night before the funeral, Judy's daughter showed it to me. ( I had asked her to check with her Dad to see if he would mind if I took it for a remembrance.) She told me to look inside, and of course there was something that only Judy would know meant the world to me.


Heather asked if she could keep it until after the service, and although I wondered why I said of course. Imagine my surprise when we got to the church the next day , at the front of the chapel sat a table where the kids had put out things from Judy's life that were important to her. And there, right next to a couple of pictures of the two of us, was the ball, along with a few other friendship items I had sent to Judy over the years. I cannot begin to tell you how that moved me. What beautiful, kind, loving children she raised, to take the time during their grief to remember and honor our friendship.


I have not opened the box yet, I just can't do it yet. Maybe tomorrow, I have time, that is one thing a have a lot of right now, time.





3 comments:

  1. Oh Joyce,,how sweet! Not now but one day you will remember Judy not with sadness but joy for all the wonderful times you had together. I am so glad you are sharing your memories with us...it helps me more than you know...xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story. You open the box when you are ready and you will know the right moment.
    Please know I have been keeping you in my prayers!
    xo, misha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your friend. My friend and I send Mardi Gras beads back and forth to each other as an inside joke, and any time I see Mardi Gras beads I immediately think of her. The friendship ball is very special, and I know your friend is smiling at you and keeping you close to her spirit.

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete