Home       Restaurants       RV Resorts       Contact

Thursday, October 14, 2010

I miss Marshall Field



I still miss Fields, don't you? I needed to buy a really nice baby outfit for one of my nieces. I have bought outfits for all the girls first babies at Fields. So we are giving my niece Tina a baby shower on the 23 of Oct. and I wanted to get an outfit to go with the gift I got her. We know it is going to be a boy, so I thought a really nice blue sweater set and blanket, perfect. Of course since they took away our Fields I had to go to Macys. It was so disappointing, they had nothing for newborns. I asked the sales person if she could help me find what I was looking for and everything I suggested, she said "we don't have that, but you can get it at Walmart". Don't get me wrong, I am not a department store snob. I shop Kohl's and Target and Home Goods just like everyone else. But when I want a really special gift for my brother's first grandchild I don't want to go to Walmart. The young girl who waited on me had a think a total of 9 earrings up and down one ear and I lost  count on the other one. I have had the lecture from my niece about today's youth expressing themselves in different ways and I understand, I do. I guess this child of the sixties just wishes she could still walk into that beautiful baby department in Fields and choose that very special blanket and outfit to give to a niece who is having their first child. To have the sweet grandmotherly clerk (do not remind me I am now the grandmother age, I don't want to hear it) help me find the perfect gift and then take it down to gift wrapping to have it wrapped oh so beautifully and placed in one of those roomy green Marshall Fields bags, didn't you just love those bags. Missing the good old days, that does make me old doesn't it?


Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Theodore Roosevelt
Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment