Home       Restaurants       RV Resorts       Contact

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fort Stockton, TX, hold on Toto we're coming....

We really had a different traveling day today.  We waited until after rush hour to go through El Paso, it was better, but it is still El Paso.  It is as close to the Mexico border as you can come without crossing the border. Juarez scares me, I know it shouldn't but I am being honest, it does. It always unnerves me when we come through border control and today they had three SUV's pulled over, emptying them out with lots of border patrol officers and dogs. I guess I watch and read to many mystery stories.

Then as we were getting about an hour or so from Fort Stockton, we noticed it was getting really hazy. We thought it was another dust storm, when had been going in and out of them all day. Then we saw a group of over 200 cars sitting out in the desert and lots of individuals, fire fighters, we knew we were coming up on one of the fires we had been hearing about on the news the last week. It is one thing to see it on the news, it is another to see it in person and we were in no way close. I cannot imagine the bravery of those firefighters. At first I was not going to take pictures, I don't like the idea of taking pictures of disasters. But after we passed, I thought there was a beauty of nature in it. Please don't think I am crazy but I thought I would share them with you.



The fire is burning in the Davis Mountains and unfortunately the wind is not going to let up any time soon. It is blowing at about 45 mph with gusts to 55 mph and over. They have it 75% contained now but it is re-flaring as I type this.

We are sitting on top of a hill where normally you would have a 7 mile view of the Glass and Davis Mountains and a valley of hay farms and pecan orchards, instead this is our view.

  I told Jay we are leaving the window shades up in case Dorothy and Toto blow by. Honestly it is just howling out there.  Jay is taking Iz out to the puppy park, I told him he better not take her leash off cause she would blow away for sure. I think the wind is supposed to let up a little tonight, I sure hope so. Tomorrow San Antonio.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Theodore Roosevelt

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you took the pictures. These kind of conditions continue to reaffirm my faith in the creator. Nature is such a powerful witness to his mightiness!

    Stay safe.

    Tell Iz I'm waiting for her!

    ReplyDelete