Home       Restaurants       RV Resorts       Contact

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Getting back on track

So here's the deal, when I started this blog over a year and a half ago, my intent was to let my family and friends know what we were up to in our travels. I wanted to show them some of the beautiful places we get to visit, some of the great food we get to eat and to keep them updated without having to write the same email over and over.

Somewhere along the way I got off track, so I am going to rein myself in and get back to my original intent. I understand how it happened,it seems every five or so years I lose a little ground with my health. I have read a lot of books about post polio syndrome, I know what to expect, I know the tools to coping with it, but it seems to throw me for a loop every time. But I have met this one, I have a plan and so far the plan seems to be working. So, I am getting myself back on track.

We had a really nice New Year's Eve, about 20 of us went to the outside patio for dinner, Everyone brought a dish to pass and your own meat to grill. We sat with four couples, two we knew and two we got to know. The food was great and so was the company. There was a dance at 8 pm but J and I were just not in the mood for it, so we came home. We watched a little TV, had our glass of champagne and went to bed at 10 pm. We have never celebrated New Year's Eve any other way. We definitely don't want to be out driving when the party is over and people who have had to much to drink are driving home.

I just can't seem to end a post with out some pictures. I haven't been out to take any really interesting ones so I will just share a few I took over the holidays.



My lovely pecan pie, I made one for Christmas and two for last night, they seem to be a hit. One thing I want to do this year is learn to make my own dough. Anyone want to offer to teach me?

This was Iz's Christmas do, she is so pretty and spoiled rotten.

Iz and friends having their Christmas dinner.

It was quite a year wasn't it. It was a very sad year for many of us. But you have to take the bad with the good, right? Today it is just going to be a lazy low key day for us. Hope you are having a good one. Peace my friends.

4 comments:

  1. Your pies and your dogs are beautiful. And yes, it was quite a year.

    I look forward to reading more of what you write this year, whether it's your original intentions or not.

    I am trying hard to be back, I have missed you.

    Big hugs, friend. Big hugs.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new year's eve sounds nice and peaceful. Such was mine also and honestly I have to say I'm so glad the holidays are done and we can now become normal again.

    You sound really good Joyce, and I am happy for that. I hope you are well or at least much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, I just read your comment over at Linda's about LaPasoda...honestly..let's do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog and was fascinated by the traveling fun. Then, I read this entry where you are talking about Post Polio Syndrome. I couldn't believe it. My mother had polio and became a semi-hemi-palegic because of it. She had been in an iron lung for a year when she was young. She was the 5th person in Texas to contract it. Anyway, I'm her oldest daughter, so after she began to experience post polio sysmptoms, we went to a post polio group together and it was the first time that we got to stand in a room with other "older" people with polio. I thought everyone was so beautiful. My mother had been having great additional pains and weakness. Sadly, she passed away at 57 years of age from breast cancer. I was so shocked. She'd already battled a hugely unfair health war and now breast cancer. We were all devastated. But, she was amazing. She had us 3 kids, earned her Master's Degree, taught school at HISD for years, traveled, took painting lessons with the one useful arm she had, and boy do I miss her. I don't know what problems you're having with your post polio symptoms, but I feel for you. The only thing mom really could do was rest. The muscles of polio victims cannot really be strengthened like "normal" unaffected muscles. I remember how frustrated she'd get, but I hope you have fun traveling, yet take time to rest.

    Anyway, this was so strange for me. I had to just let it out. Hope you are having a great day.

    From Texas,
    Lana

    ReplyDelete