Home       Restaurants       RV Resorts       Contact

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Izzy update

So here is where we are. I had decided I would put off going to the vet here until after the holidays to give Iz and myself a break. We went last Friday and after the Dr. reviewed her file from home she thought it best to do an ultrasound. So Monday she had an ultrasound ( I knew she would have her belly shaved, but I did not know how far up it would go, I almost cried when I saw her). The results of the ultrasound showed she did not have a shunt. This is both good news and bad news. Good news she doesn't have a shunt, bad news she could still have microvascular_dysplasia. The only way to tell if she has the disease is a liver biopsy, for which she would be put to sleep. If she has the disease there is not a cure or treatment, they do change the dogs diet.  I asked couldn't we go ahead and change her diet without confirming the disease. The Dr. says the diet restricts protein and you would not want to do that to a young dog unless they indeed have the disease. The breeder had blood work done on one of Iz's sisters that she was keeping to breed , her numbers came back high also. She is seeing the Vet today. So as of today I am leaning towards doing nothing, I have a dog who has no symptoms at all and every time you put them under you run a risk. What do you all think?

On a side note we had some other excitement around here this weekend. Sunday J ran out to get us a burger (at my request, so of course it is all my fault). He was sitting at a stop light and saw a group of motorcycles making a turn into the other lane. He saw a lady ( of course it was a woman) on the outside of the turn speeding up so she could make the light. In his head he was saying, lady slow down or you are going to HIT ME!! And that she did. She was cut by her own windshield across the cheek and chin. The police officer also thought she had a fractured wrist but she refused to go in the ambulance, she said she would have someone drive her. The damage to our Jeep was $2200.00 but they can't get it in until the end of the month. And they will need to keep it for about two weeks. I am just hoping we can get a loner I can drive.  So that brings us up to date I think, miss you all. It is beautiful here.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Theodore Roosevelt


  1. Hey Joyce, I do know with our vet they put the dogs to sleep in increments using only the tiniest bit to keep them from feeling pain....you might ask about that. Just have to do what you feel is best ...think about it for awhile...
    Sorry about J's accident...those darn women motorcyclists...lol..take care...going to look for Big Love Season 4 tomorrow...I hear it is out..

  2. Poor Izy! I think you need to listen to your heart. Even if you do nothing right now doesn't mean you can't change your mind. Sorry to hear about J's accident and then being without your vehicle for that long...glad it is beautiful there and that you are enjoying yourselves. XX

  3. Hi, didn't get home till late last night so I didn't read your post. Sorry to hear about Iz and her sister. I'd think about it for awhile and see what the breeder is going to do before making a decision.

    I'm surprised we didn't hear Jay here in MN - that had to be so aggravating watching it come at you and there's nothing you can do about it.

    Love ya

  4. And don't you know you'll have to hear forever about stupid women drivers. I can just hear him now.